Your voice for cycling and Active Transportation
Welcome to the Ottawa Valley Cycling and Active Transportation Alliance - OVCATA.
We got together in 2016 to speak for you, if you're a cyclist or Active Transportation (AT) enthusiast in the Ottawa Valley, and to enhance your riding and AT experience.
We take a collaborative and educational approach and work with everyone in our rural community. As a result of this work and the surging popularity of active transportation, gigantic strides have been made since we were formed. In this time:
- Renfrew County and the municipalities within it have created hundreds of kilometres of hardened shoulders on their roads.
- The County has joined with neighbours to create the multi-use Algonquin Trail on the abandoned CP rail line. When complete, it will enable active transportation travellers to cross Canada and avoid Highway 17 completely and boost tourism locally.
- OVCATA created the Bike Bank, to offer bikes to anyone who needs one in Renfrew County.
- We've mapped cycle routes all over the Ottawa Valley.
- OVCATA has taken part in and created dozens of events and rides, including the two signature bike rallies of the area, The Tour de Whitewater and the Tour de Bonnechere, as well as smaller local events like the Tour de Poutine.
- We've advocated to local government and the Province for safety for all road users and educated widely.
If you want to know what's happening locally and add your voice for Active Transportation, please join OVCATA.